Dull, red, dry, scarred, and acne covered skin… this is not what anyone wants! Our skin is the first thing that people see when they look at us and I think its everyone’s dream to have perfectly glowing, dewy, and acne free skin (I know that is my dream🙌🏻)! For most of my life, I have suffered from pretty severe acne and tried everything from prescription topical creams, antibiotics, proactive skin care, and ended up resorting to Accutane to try and clear my skin. Acne made me very self-conscious and I don’t think I am the only person to say that.
Being in Naturopathic Medical school I wanted to try and find a more natural way to help clear my acne and keep it gone for good! What I came to understand was the best way to do this was with both internal and external treatments. The combination of products I started to use has left my skin glowing and acne free!
Note: This combination may not be perfect for everyone, so make sure you do your own research to determine which will be best suited for you!!
- Zn is required for over 1000 enzymatic reactions and is needed for over 2000 transcription factors. This means Zn is needed for development, differentiation and cell growth
- Zn helps to directly inhibit Propionibacterium acnes — the main bacteria responsible for acne
- Zn helps to decrease the inflammatory response in the body, which helps to decrease acne as it is an inflammatory disease
- Zn helps to inhibit 5-alpha-reductase which converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is the active form of testosterone that is more responsible for acne development
- Zn can be added into the diet by supplementation or food
- Foods rich in Zn include: beans, dairy products, nuts, oysters, red meat, whole grains
- Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and helps to:
- Promote skin elasticity
- Give structure to skin, hair, nails, bones, ligaments, tendons
- Collagen is made up of the amino acids glycine, proline, hydroxyproline, and hydroxylysine
- Collagen helps to increase the hydration of the skin
- Collagen helps to increase the abundance of GAG’s, which increases the dermal collagen networks in the skin
- Collagen helps to treat and prevent leaky gut, which will help facilitate healthy skin
- Tip: this collagen dissolves so nicely, you can’t even taste it! Throw it in your water, coffee, tea, smoothie, soup anything each day to get your daily dose in!
3. Skin rolling
- This involved using a jade or quartz roller on the skin
- Skin rolling helps:
- Decrease fine lines and wrinkles
- Increase circulation to the face
- Decrease puffiness and inflammation
- Brighten the complexion
- Tighten pores
- Reduce the appearance of under-eye circles
- Tip: Run the roller under cold water before applying to the face — the cold feels so nice and helps to reduce puffiness!
4. Facial oil
- The skin produces oils naturally, which is needed to maintain balance on the skin to ensure it doesn’t break out, get wrinkles or fine lines
- Facial oils help to:
- Moisturize dry skin
- Reduce wrinkles
- Protect the skin — due to the high-quality antioxidants
- Pull dirt + grime out of pores
- Antibacterial to help kill off acne
- Individuals that experience acne actually have too dry of skin and the bodies way to telling them is overactivation of oil glands — adding oils like jojoba or squalane is great for individuals suffering from acne
6. Zit Stick
- This blend of essential oils is amazing at helping reduce redness and acne spots
- It contains:
- Tea tree — very anti-microbial to help with the elimination of acne
- Chamomile — very soothing to the skin
- Geranium — helps to tone and balance the skin flora
- Lavender — soothes inflammation and decreases acne
- This is the perfect thing to apply to your zits and have them gone when you wake up the next morning
Bonus: Matcha stick
- I love to use my matcha stick in the morning underneath my eyes. It helps to reduce the puffiness and brightens my eyes
- Matcha contains EGCG which is highly anti-inflammatory for the skin and helps to reduce redness
By focusing on both the internal and external parts of the body it allows the skin to heal from the inside out! I hope that some of these products will help you to have beautiful, glowing skin!