Who wants a beverage that is refreshing and packed with nutrients!? This matcha lemonade is a great mix of earthy and tart flavors that will have your taste buds singing! Matcha is a great additive into your daily routine as it is packed with polyphenols, amino acids, theanine, proanthocyanidins, and caffeine. So ditch the coffee and grab a matcha, you won’t regret it 😉
Camellia sinensis (Green Tea = Matcha)
Green tea has been used for thousands of years in Asia as it helps to promote longevity, improves mental function, and prevent disease. Green tea contains a constituent called EGCG, which is a polyphenol that has a potent antioxidant function. Antioxidants function to scavenge free radicles + promote detoxification.
Medical actions of green tea include:
Green tea has been shown to:
- Help decrease memory loss in individuals with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Reduce the signs and symptoms associated with photoaging
- Have anti-cancer and cancer preventative effects
- Helps to increase autophagy to remove cellular debris making it helpful for cardiomyopathies and cancer
- Helps to improve cognition and brain function due to caffeine acting as a stimulant
- Increase metabolism and boost fat burning to aid in weight loss
- Improve insulin sensitivity and help regulate blood sugar levels
- Reduces levels of LDL and cholesterol and prevent oxidation of LDL = decrease risk of atherosclerosis
- Learn more about heart health here!
- 1 C boiling water
- ½ tsp matcha
- ¼ C lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 C filtered water (cold)
- Ice cubes
- Lemon slices
- Combined boiling water and matcha in a blender -- mix for 1 min
- Place in the fridge allowing it to chill (1h)
- Put the matcha mixture back in the blender and add lemon juice and maple syrup
- Blend for 1 min
- Serve over ice and garnish with a lemon wedge
Hoffman, D. (2003). Medical herbalism: The science and practice of herbal medicine. Rochester, VT. Healing Arts Press.
Marciano, M. & Vizniak, N. (2018). Botanical Medicine. Canada. Professional Health Systems Inc.
Prasanth, M., Sivamaruthi, B., Chaiyasut, C., & Tencomnao, T. (2019). A review of the role of green tea (camellia sinensis) in antiphotoaging, stress resistance, neuroprotection, and autophagy. Nutrients, 11(2), 474. doi:10.3390/nu11020474